April 6, 2009

For weeks on end

I haven't been concretely active on the animal welfare front, owing to commitments to family, work, work and more work. It's a delicate balancing act and at some point in time, I have to learn to say no and get back on track of core areas of concern.

Hence, the quiet on the blog while in actual fact, I'd been somewhat caught up with a little black kitten, barely a few weeks old when found. My neighbourhood caregiver rang me up urgently and said that the new GP who moved in had managed to capture it and intended to bring it to SPCA, if all else failed. Apparently, someone who works in the area had his friend abandon it there!

So I took the brave step of taking black kit in, much to my family's chagrin. Set up the cage where the newborn resided for a week or so, before I was tied up (thanks to L) to an experienced cat lover, TL, who took it in, not as a foster, but a permanent adopter. Hallelujah!

So black kit was ascertained as female by the vet and finally deflea-ed and cleaned up, thanks to TL's trained eye. In a matter of a day, she was let out of the cage and teasing and playing with TL's adult cats, claiming territories all over the house. Really, a worry off my shoulder and divine blessing manifested. To have an experienced cat lover who affords premium cat food take in black kit unconditionally, it was beyond my expectations. Schnorkz, she is now named by TL and I'd mentally call her.


Now: Schnorkz, extremely playful, jubilant, spars with her adult mentors, tears plastic bags and chases others. Boundless energy.
Now: Schnorkz, alert and oh-so-mischievous!



This is Rei Zi, what I assume is Schnorkz's new brotherly mentor. Upon bringing her into TL's living room, he was one of the first to suss her out and now, he willingly allows her to pounce on him, whack him and chase his tail.



A month ago: Schnorkz in my house, loves to spar with my finger and play with her litter. Was still lapping milk mixed with wet, deboned canfood.

When found, our girl had some 10 over fleas crawling on her tiny body. She was malnourished, slightly dehydrated and disoriented. But she adapted just fine to the dark portions of the carrier placed in the huger cage and snuggled for the first few nights to the surrogate warmth of warm water in a container I placed in the carrier.

No comments: