October 5, 2006

Farmboy Panda to Prince Henry

The minute I arrived, I was greeted with barking. My first thought: it must be Panda! True enough, under the near dark sky, I could make out that it was Panda, barking at me from his garden, that is elevated high above the road level where I was. He is a big boy now. But he doesn't seem to remember me.

M is a very nice lady. German family. The house is amply big for Panda - big garden to run and play in, spacious living area where he can laze about away from the hot sun - he has full run of the house.



Panda's playground in his garden; one of his fav spots when it's hot outside and the living room tiles are cool; happy to be out in nature!

Initially wary of us, he was shying away, barking and growling, bit suspicious. After a while, he warmed up and started coming near.

I kept calling softly Panda...Panda....he came nearer and nearer...and finally he placed his face right in front of mine, sniffed me out, and then the moment came when I knew he finally remembered me - his mind seemed to snapped into recognition! And started giving me doggy kisses, one after another, as I stroked and ruffled his face. You remember me now ya, Panda?

He's a handsome fellow. A rare coloring for a local dog.

His family is good. 4 boys to play ball and fetch with. Walks everyday. Outings to the dog run once a week. M said that once at the dog run, a lady recognised him! She had seen Panda's photo on the adoption site and spotted him out!

We stayed a while longer and watched Panda play fetch with one of M's boys. Just before we left, he once again came close and gave me his wet doggy kisses. Was a bit reluctant to leave him, but hey, this is a good home. Panda is one blessed dog. I am happy for him.

Come about 1 and a half years later, Panda would well be on his way to Germany. Imagine what new experiences he would go through...adventures waiting for him...different seasons for him to explore...my, who would think that a farm kid would ever live this way. Panda would get to fly. But that means he would be miles and miles away from here. Far from the farm land where he was born...where we first met him....where his mom birthed him and where she died....where he lived his first 2 months of life.


Remembering Panda when he was just a little boy....

The chances in life can be amazing. If you just believe. Blessings will shower upon you. I am happy for Panda that he is getting this chance to experience life in a way wholly different from Star who's still at the farm. I won't say which pup is happier or will be happier. Their paths are wholly different now.

Panda may seem a bit changed. And I wonder, does placing a dog in a new environment alter his personality? Just as a human, placed in a new environment, will he be different from how he was before? Or does he just appear to be different? His true nature remains?

The Panda as I know him took a while to surface, but when he finally did, and remembered me and came close to give me his little wet kisses, I know then, Panda is still our good 'ol farm boy at heart.


I like this simple nature in dogs. I like it in all people, in fact.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

apologies that i couldn't go along but am glad for panda. it's a different destiny and often, a human-controlled destiny. God bless panda-boy.

kz