February 16, 2008

Further to media reports on the death

of dogs' carcasses found in Clementi (MyPaper Feb 15, 2008)... the following pictures remind me of Doby's sister, the young female that eluded human contact and who was missed by V, our caregiver, for a good few weeks before her body -- shockingly reduced to bones -- were found.

At the spot where she usually ate.

Very, very sorry. I feel so sorry for the needless (and unexplainable) deaths of these street dogs. In their harmless, unaccounted existence in the city, what good have we given these animals who yearn to seek just a quiet unnoticed chance of survival, except our intentions to snuff them out of our shared public spaces?

The images are shocking, but they are the truths happening out there. I choose to post them here, because I don't think I should deny the public from knowing the brutality of it all. I'm not exactly for ghastly images in my bid to educate anyone on animal welfare, but if it takes powerful images for members of the public to know that this could be the result of intolerance of dogs within our residential/industrial communities; this is the result of single-minded complainants; this is the consequence right before our very eyes.

Before the eyes of caregivers who had invested to sterilise, rescue and rehome Shelley, Shiloh and the pack. I can relate to the sentiments when Doby's sister died, when Busuk died, when dogs disappeared from my sight, from this earth... dogs whom I crossed paths with.

By what measures do we allow these street animals into our living spaces?





Our belief in education does not just root within ourselves; we are capable of ACTING on it. Mediate tensions between complainants and caregivers. Stop a child from shooing a community cat at the void deck - tell him it's wrong. Show in all ways that animal lives should be respected.

1 comment:

jules said...

When will humans learn to have compassion and tolerance, not only for their own kind? When will humans learn to live in peace and harmony with the world at large? I can only pray and hope to see this day before i pass on...