September 17, 2008

Goodbye H

I had always wanted to get my hands on a book meant for owners grieving after their lost pet. I never got down to seeking any professional prescription in this respect, but I guess time gave space for wounds to heal and for me to move on to do greater things. In the belief that an animal's life is no less precious.

Yesterday, H looked almost angelic in the private ward. Putting my hand on his coat as he laid on the quilt, twitching slightly in his dream, I silently said a prayer for all afflictions of pain to go away from his body. I prayed for freedom to come to him, I prayed for divine intervention in the life of a dog meant so dearly to his owner. All these years.



TODAY, H passed away peacefully and now bathes in glory and comfort in heaven. He is running... he is able to run, in the vast fields, and happy as always, tickled by the beautiful things before his eyes. The smells that excite his senses and his heart palpitates with joy.

H, may you rest in peace. Gentle yet majestic, warm and handsome. A delight to any dog lover, and so dear to his owner, who herself is an animal advocate and activist. Who's personally guided me with good foresight, clarity of thought and her level-headedness in my exploration of animal welfare issues.

Her energy to sustain through the challenges of the animal welfare world. So much to learn from my dear friend... her love and true dedication to H.

The loss of a loved one is, literally, a cut on one's raw flesh; a love so tender, so dear and intimate. A dog-owner relationship is sometimes beyond understanding. The grieving, though necessary, will come to an end and mark a future of hope. Of possibilities.

We are with you.

No comments: