September 10, 2006

Yes, today we got Beth

It was no easy task but it was worth it.

V dropped us at the farm before she went on her route. I walked around and found the pack resting under a shelter.

So I walked in, initially the dogs were disturbed but settled down after I fed them a bit.

This gal, let's call her Beth, is still pretty wary of me. She would come just close enough to reach the food which I place about a foot away from me, but always staying just out of my reach.

I continue to feed, wait and be patient as the dogs got more and more comfortable with me. Soon, they went to each of their corners and settled down.

I waited patiently amongst them, inching closer and closer to Beth. But each time I got too near, she got up and walked away to another spot to settle down. I continued to inch towards her a few more times and once, she walked out of the shelter towards the forested area behind and I was like, no don't do that! cos if she did, I would have lost her for today.

Luckily she walked back into the shelter and settled down one more time, She was getting sleepy now. So towards her I inched again, this time getting close enough to slowly loop the leash over her head and gradually tightening it for a firm hold. Phew....there, we got her.

BUT....carrying her was a totally different matter. She got defensive and scared, which is perfectly normal and it was very difficult for me to lift her up as she would struggle and fling her head to get out of the leash and attempted to bite. No way am I going to let her get away - if she did, we would have no chance of getting her again.

So, as I held on, we activated T. He came by in a few minutes. Experienced, he looped the leash over her mouth to muzzle her. Somehow her teeth gripped onto the leash and as T pulled she managed to bite thru the leash and got free!

The only thought I had then was NO! We can't let her get away! So without considering the danger, I grabbed hold of her scruff and back and tried to hold on...of cos...for a fearful dog, the only reasonable reaction you can expect is - she turned back and bit me. Twice. One on each arm. But I guess I was so focused on not letting her go, even with the initial jab of pain and seeing my blood dripped onto Beth's body, I didn't let go. (no worries, later at the clinic, I realised I had my tetanus jab few years back which protects me and the doc had cleaned my wound, the swell has lessen, will be fine)

T came over to help hold Beth down and C ran to get 2 more leashes from V. T did a good muzzle and leashed her up firmly then carried her into V's car and off to Dr T we went.

Though it is indeed sad to abort the pups, having them born into this world on that farm is leading them to a certain death when the authorities come at their next random date to cull the easy-to-catch pups.

I would rather not have them born than to have their innocent chance at life robbed and ended in inhumane means by people who do not look at them as fully living beings. Spare them the FEAR they will face when they do get caught.

Those who think it is cruel and that we should not have done this - I ask with all sincerity: please come forward and offer to be a foster for other pups we may find, and give us your promise that you would look for and secure good families for all the pups and follow up diligently on their welfare - only if you come forward with this promise, will we not choose a more painful option.

I always bear this in mind: the courage to love an animal requires the courage to see them die. Love is giving what is best to the other person. Sometimes it is painful for yourself, but with the pain comes the beauty of knowing the truth about life and about living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your experience really inspired me. You are very brave! Take good care of yourself. God bless!
~~~~gL