October 22, 2007

Some of you already knew

that I have applied to the universities in Australia and New Zealand to fulfil my dream of being a Vet. Thanks for your concern on how the outcome has been.

Being a vet is a longtime childhood dream that has been shelved for lack of direction, parental guidance and a submission to the belief that the sheer costs of financing a bachelor of veterinary science degree is out of my league. And thus, I left my dream on the shelf.

Till a few years back when the dust was slowly shaking off and that very same dream emerged. Stronger this time. And more persistent in my consciousness every day.

Looking back, I see many incidences, happenings, people and animals who come along my path - all of them there to remind me of this dream. People whom I have not even met, but who are so gracious and big-hearted to write me testimonials from what our project has accomplished for the animals, speaking up on behalf of me, one part of this project which they have come to support and trust.

My disadvantage is my lack of the required science background. I had taken the arts route, something I am good at but which doesn't add credit to my application. However, I went ahead to send in my applications with testimonials from people who believed in me and a portfolio of the animals we have treated/rescued over the past years.

Unfortunately, my application was just rejected by Melbourne Uni and Sydney Uni. On the Australian side, I am still awaiting replies from Murdoch Uni and Queensland Uni.

On the bright side, there is an open door! I have been accepted by Massey Uni, New Zealand for the pre-Vet semester starting February 2008.
http://vet-school.massey.ac.nz/

This is a selection semester where I am given the chance to take papers in Biology, Chemistry and Physics for Life Sciences. If I do well enough and stand among the top 12 students after the semester, I qualify to continue into Vet Science proper for another 4 1/2 years. The Bachelor of Veterinary Science degree is a 5 years degree. If I am not among the top 12, I can use my grades to apply for a transfer to another Uni in Australia.

There - I have an open door to fulfil this dream. A dream that is bigger than myself.

It is quite daunting when I think about it sometimes. The 2 most pertinent questions people ask me: It's 5 years? How are you going to finance it?

But I know, if I want to contribute in a greater extent to the animal world, where I stand now is just insufficient. I am ill-equipped now for many things I would like to do. We are dependent on people more qualified. Hindered by lack of skills though full of heart.

I only ask for myself to be given the opportunity to EQUIP myself with the necessary knowledge and skills that will prepare me for all situations we encounter in future.

I just attended a 2-day conference by the Singapore Veterinary Association. Some of the talks fired within me the resolution to carry my dream to fruition, both for the truths and curious 'facts' I hear. Among it, a particular truism stuck with me: THE BODY HEALS ITSELF.

Doctors, vets ... some have veered off this truth and their actions for many cases have been to 'whack an already sick body' with strong and than stronger medicines when the first batch is not efficacious anymore, mostly masking the symptoms rather than healing the root cause of the disease. This is not healing. It is just targeting the symptoms. The root cause of the disease is still not addressed.

The body heals itself. What we do, as vets, is to provide the RIGHT ENVIRONMENT for the body to heal itself. And medications, when needed, should be prescribed from minute doses upwards, with emphasis placed on nutrition and holistic supplements to fortify the ailing body and help boost it and bring it closer to a level of balance. Homeostasis. We HELP the body heal itself.

I believe in this truism. And I will hold it close to my heart with each animal we encounter.

While waiting for Murdoch and Queensland Uni's replies, I am now seeking Sponsorships/Grants to fulfil my dream. A dream that is too big for me to fulfil on my own.

I would require a sum of about S$50,000 a year for 5 years for tuition fees and relocation expenses. This is a total of S$250,000.

I have faith. I believe God puts dreams in our hearts. And because it is Him who puts this dream in my heart, He will equip me, and provide for me, more than abundantly for my Vet degree. That all shall see it can only be through Him. Not me.

* When all goes well, I will take my first step when term starts in February 2008. Keep me in your prayers now as we watch how this matter unfolds.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God will provide. have faith jac!=)*hug*

Ting said...

You'll definitely be in my prayers, being a vet is my dream as well and I'm also trying to fulfill it step by step.
Yes, if God has put the vision and the dream in you, He will make sure you get through it. Just believe and trust in Him!
Take care and we'll all be waiting your return!
:D

Anonymous said...

All the best to you :)

jules said...

Will definitely keep u in my prayers. Have faith, God always provides in His own ways and we definitely need more wonderful, future vets like u here with a BIG heart and a gentle soul...

Anonymous said...

Hey.. just stumbled upon your blog when I was surfing the web. I am a second year vet student in the US who was pretty much in the same boat as you 2 years ago. I just wanted to encourage you to pursue your dream.

Massey is a great university and very well recognized. Congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank u so much all of u for your well wishes and encouragement. We shall see miracles unfold in this journey! :)