August 12, 2006

What you grow to know,

you will grow to love. And what you love, you will do all you can to save.

Will people would look at animal 'fanatics' and think they are 'crazy'?Maybe they might. Simply because they do not know what the animal 'fanatics' know.

For me, I have grown to KNOW the dogs I met along our ways. I come close to them. I touched them. I held them. I know them. Thus I love them.

The nature society was in an uproar over the hopea sangal cos they know it, they KNOW that tree beyond what you see. To them, that tree is more than branches and leaves - it carries their finger prints of hope and a future of nature left in freedom.

R is giving her all to save Chek Jawa cos she KNOWS Chek Jawa in a way I may never do. Beneath all those mudflats, sea anemones, sand dollars and changing tides, R sees a treasure that her heart clings resiliently to, and with her tight affinity to this gift of nature, she gives her passion to carve a certain future for Chek Jawa.

The cat welfare people are speaking up for their cats cos they KNOW them. They see how important it is for Singapore to realise that a gracious society does not strive for utter sterility, but a compassionate people who understands that each and every living being has a deserving place on our land. That we all hold a fair and equal chance at life. That no one is so almighty to wield a sword of judgement over any other being, least of all over creatures we have power over. For many have misunderstood this power - given as a power to protect, not to destroy.

I know people who are pouring their time out for INSECTS! Are they crazy? No. They just know those critters in a way you don't. That's all. They have dedicated so much more time and intention to connect with these insects, with creatures so small and so misunderstood at times.

That intention alone is admirable, for when is the last time you actually bother to find out all you can about something? Anything? When have you last shown that something outside of your own life matters at all?

I no longer search for an excuse for my 'fanatic' connection to dogs. I like them. I simply do. And I want to know them. And for them to know me too.

If that is how I am made, I will live in no other way.

No comments: