August 11, 2006

I took a ride with a gentleman

As of 1 Aug, it had been more than a week since I last saw him.

He came to me, friendly and waggy as always. I knew that I would be able to get him, but there was still a sense of hesitancy when I got there.

The last time we met, he had allowed me to stroke his face, down his neck and gently along his back. I could tell that he wasn't entirely comfortable with my touch - he had this solemn, closed-mouth look so characteristically him.

I got down to his level and started feeding him some liver, bit by bit. Leash on the floor by my side, ready to loop him. I fed. I gently stroke. He solemnly ate. Slowly...steadily...V grab hold of his scruff and I quickly loop the leash over his neck. Then I got ready to lift him up, boy was he heavy.

The other dogs seemed to sense something was up and started barking. The barking woke this boy up from his hypnotized stance and he struggled. We were afraid he might bite so V took over the leash to muzzle him. But our boy squirmed his way out and quickly scooted under the gate. There goes our chance! After some coaxing and more, it was obvious he wasn't coming out from under the gate anymore. So we gave up and drove down to the other farm.

These 2 mangey boys always will follow V's car to that farm for more treats. A part of me thought that they could have sensed that we were trying to catch them and they might not come this time. I was wrong. The minute we got down from the car, the boys were there.

Our boy seemed to have gotten over his 'shock'. He still looked as solemn as ever but he still allowed me to come close. So I took more liver and fed him bit by bit. All the while, gently stroking him all over and giving him some ruffles and pats. He looked at me with doleful eyes as I silently told him, "Come with me, I'm taking you to a better place. Trust me. Come with me please."

V urged me from behind to get a good hold of him and carry him into the car quick. I got hesitant again. A bit fearful that this big boy may turn back and bite. How little faith I had then. But the truth was, my heart was beating that bit faster, half expecting him to attack out of fear. So I took deep breaths, steadied myself and placed my arms firmly around his body. He didn't flinch a bit. He just stood still with a grim look ahead. I braced my weight, wrapped my arms tightly around him and lifted him up, a short walk to the car. He wasn't as heavy as I thought.

There...we finally got him.

Many people would have taken a glance at him and call him ugly. They might even think he is old cos he looks older than he is. They would not even want to get within 10 feet of him cos of his mangey skin.

Cruising to the vet together with him in the backseat, I calmed him with gentle strokes and took a good long look at this boy. I've got here a gentleman. A sweet natured lad of just about a year old or so.

He settled himself down almost immediately, and during our ride, he turned back frequently to look at me with his doleful eyes. I whispered to him again, "Trust me. You're going to a better place. You no longer have to fear for your safety."

I think he understood. Why else would he come again to me and allow me to take him away?

This lad, he is a gentleman. I like him.

No comments: