August 22, 2006

Got a call yesterday

from a concerned lady who visited her pal at TP on Sunday and saw this small white dog chained up to the back door of one of the old flats. The teenage girl at that house told her that the dog is chained up in the day time and let in at night. Apparently he would escape if let off leash/will fight with cats/will fight with the other dog. But according to the lady who called, this boy (possibly a maltese) is a sweet fellow.

That doesn't sound good cos there isn't any shelter at the back and it can get real hot during the day. That household also has a few cats wandering around the back area. But there was some communication barrier with the girl so she didn't get the full picture.

Anyway to make sure the dog is not being neglected and perpetually chained up, I popped by during lunch. Walked down the old block - no white dog chained up behind. Some cats with cat food and water among the potted plants so I know which house it is. Spoke with one neighbour who knows nothing about white dog being chained up perpetually.

Then I did another round and when I walked to the back area again, this cute fellow turned up from nowhere - whose dog are you, little fellow? He was marking the door of the family I spoke with who denied knowing him at all. For awhile, I thought maybe this was the chained dog and he was abandoned....



This fellow was happily trotting about, carefree and bouncingly oblivious to the cats, to me...just curiously exploring. I followed behind, hoping he would lead me home.



He bounded on further and further away from the block and off to the main road.


So I picked him up and walked him back, asking people along the way - do you know whose dog is this? No one knows... so I walked around with him in my arms, preparing to knock on each door to deliver him home...almost wanted to bring him to Uncle J just across the road. As I went behind the block where I found him, his owner came along. It was quite obvious cos little fellow's tail greeted him in wags. Alright, now little fellow is safe. His name is Lucky. His owner had just left him on the grass and went to open the letter box but when he turned around, Lucky was already gone.

So, all dog owners, please take note when walking your dog. ALWAYS keep a close eye on him/her. There have been roadkills and lost/stolen dog cases when owners are negligent.

Not all dogs are as lucky as Lucky.

No comments: